Monday, October 3, 2011

Bunting for baby

You know when you meet someone for the first time and you can just tell you're going to become good friends? That's how I felt when I met Kirk and Sara. My husband and I were only introduced to this lovely couple about 9 months ago,  but we've already become kindred spirits. Kirk and my husband are big music nerds who can geek out for hours over recording equipment, while Sara and I share a love of good food and crafting (we have actually just started a knitting circle, which I will get around to blogging about someday).

Shortly after we met them, Kirk and Sara told us they were expecting their first baby. It's been fun and exciting to watch Sara's belly grow and tag along with the whirlwind experience of cooking up a little person.

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of attending Sara's baby shower. It was a special gathering of close friends and family only, so I was so thrilled to be invited. I wanted to give her something practical that could be used everyday, but I also wanted to give something special and homemade. I settled on cloth diapers from Sara's registry and a sweet little bunting flag for the nursery.

I knew Sara had chosen to paint her nursery orange -- they don't know the sex of the baby -- so I went to the fabric store with that in mind. I settled on an admittedly girly palette of greens, pinks and oranges. (I was trying to make it gender neutral, but I was surprised at how few fabrics didn't scream GIRL! or BOY!. Plus, what can I say. I gravitate to the girly stuff).


Making a bunting flag is a very simple and satisfying project. All I did was make a triangle template out of cardboard -- I think mine was five inches across and seven inches long. I used the template to trace the flags onto my fabric, then cut them out with pinking shears. I pinned the flags inside some premade bias tape, then used a zigzag stitch to sew it all together.




Sara and Kirk both really loved their present and were so sweet and gracious when I told them I had made it myself. I hope their little baby likes it too.


1 comment: