Thursday, July 21, 2011

DIY cheese

A few months ago, I picked up a copy of Home Dairy with Ashley English, a cookbook that's all about making your own cheese. I was very intrigued, but totally intimidated by the process. You need ingredients that sounded scary (bacteria! rennet!) and that were hard to track down.


But today I stumbled across something that could de-freakify cheese-making: a DIY cheese kit. All you have to do is add a gallon of milk and follow the instructions. It comes in a couple flavours -- mozzarella and ricotta, goat cheese, and paneer and queso blanco.


If you're as intrigued as I am, you can pick up your own cheese kit on Etsy here.

3 comments:

  1. omg that is so cool! I have been thinking about sending my dad to a cheese making class for his birthday but I can't find one on the gold coast. This would be much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that cheesemaking kit looks adorable! I think I'm still too squeamish to try to make any dairy products, because I'm afraid of giving myself food poisoning. Let me know if you ever make one, I'd love to see results!

    (and I've been reading your blog for a little while but haven't commented until now - love your crafty projects!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat - let me know if you get one and if your Dad tries it out!

    Rosel - Yay! So nice to hear from you! I'm glad my Mom isn't my only reader :)

    ReplyDelete